Erin Forbes, Teen Author Interview



When did you begin writing? What inspired you to start?

I've always been a writer, really. From an early age, I filled spare journals with short stories, poems, and potential plot notes. My kindergarten teacher provided her students with paper notebooks, each one stapled together at the binding. Most of the children ignored these outlets, but I regarded each one as a blank canvas. I wrote my first story in one of those notebooks, and I still have it with me.


A love for literature inspired the creation of my own works. It remains one of the deepest forms of self-expression.


What book inspired you the most?

Countless books have inspired me over the years. It's always difficult to pick one! The Chronicles of Narnia, The Giver, The Goose Girl, and Anne of Green Gables, to name a few favorites. In addition, allusions to Ireland's ancient folklore can be found in each installment of the Fire & Ice book series.


What was your first book? When did you write it, and what was it about?

The Elementals was my first publication and the first installment in the Fire & Ice book series. I began the writing process at the age of twelve, when the first spark  came to mind. It sets the stage and drives the tale into motion.


Readers step into Aisling, an enchanted realm where each individual is born with a unique and magical Gift. For centuries, this realm has been crumbling due to an ancient curse set on the land. Stone castles hold mysteries, and secrets veil the reality of the shadowed beasts that roam the forest. Three years after discovering their elemental powers, Alice and Emery Hanley step into the Academy for Gifted Youth, where their lives are forever changed. Amidst the disappearance of a fellow student, the twins discover a prophecy that could save the realm of Aisling from destruction.


Share a turning point in your life as an author.

I've experienced several turning points as an author. One of the most profound moments occurred at my first book signing, when a little girl approached with wide eyes. Her family had traveled hours to attend the event. A tattered copy of The Elementals was clutched between her hands. The spine was bent and the pages were dog-eared. She looked at me with such excitement, and the conversation swept into all things bookish. She was my first fan. It was a wonder to see how  the characters had left their mark on her spirit. Since we met, the Fire & Ice book series has developed a worldwide fanbase, and it continues to grow with each day.


What is the biggest challenge you have faced?

Criticism is one of the biggest challenges an artist can face. At the same time, I wouldn't care to have a world without it. It has taught me the importance of self-worth and acceptance. I can decide the value of each voice in the crowd.


What projects are you working on now?

The Kindred Woods will be released on May 1st, 2019. This is my latest project, and I couldn't be more excited to share it with the world! As the third installment in the Fire & Ice book series, it brims with magic and page-turning adventure. An unexpected truth comes to the surface, and readers are swept into an unforgettable battle.


The series follows the Hanley sisters through an intricate tale of magic, sisterhood, and self-discovery. Each book is relatable to readers of all ages, as the characters work through real struggles, raw emotion, and valuable relationships. Celtic folklore and mysteries collide as readers step into the Gifted realm.


Find Erin:
Website
Instagram
Facebook
Goodreads
YouTube

Comments