Writing Relief: Guest Post by Sadie Anderson



Writing is a survival skill that quickly takes a larger importance when we attend school. The most caring teachers gift students with the ability to express themselves through writing. In today’s society, we are inundated with writing. People write blogs, essays, social media posts, poems, stories, and more. I currently have twelve unread articles in my saved files on Facebook, while I scroll through others on my lunch break or while I should be asleep. The question remains, why do we write?

No life is perfect, so all life must adapt to experiences. Often, circumstances feel inexplicable, unfair, and limited. Coping strategies assist in the process of understanding the past as it relates to our present. Some choose counseling. Writing is either forgotten or used as a tool within a strategy. Yet, it is writing which allows the emotions found within our struggles to leave us, while remaining confidential unless shared. So, I write.

The importance of writing for self-expression guided me through adolescence. I have never written more frequently than when I was a teen, perhaps because I was experiencing all of life’s traumas and tragedies for the first time. At a time in life when every struggle seems as if it could end you, how do you make sense of it? When your parents divorce, or your home life is unsafe, or you have an incurable illness, or you experience loss and heartbreak, or you leave home for the first time, what helps you not only survive, but thrive? In my experience, through writing about aching and hoping and growing and leaving, I made it.

Inspiration for writers often comes from reading. My husband always comments on the dozens of folded pages or highlights throughout a novel I read because I want to remember things that stand out to me. I need to acknowledge eloquence when it is found, or important ideals and reminders for continued growth as a person. Writing may be a line, a poem, a story, or a compilation. For me, writing has never been a full-length novel with one plot pyramid. Realistically, life has always felt more complicated than that. Writing is about strung together moments in time that have molded me into the person I am today. The teacher, helping other children find their voices, as someone once did for me. The partner, learning to lean on and grow with my husband. The mother, admiring my daughter’s budding personality and trying to see the world through her innocent eyes. And still, the daughter, trying to understand my past while navigating my relationships with family from the perspective of an adult.

In many ways, I continue writing to cope with those same challenges I first faced as a child. We often revisit the same struggles from different vantage points as we grow intellectually through our experiences to learn something new about ourselves. We all have these moments and memories that stay with us. As a writer, the hope is that your writing becomes the reading that inspires someone else to write and share pieces of their stories, or maybe it simply becomes the pages marked as reminders for someone else’s life. There will forever be more heartache, more loss, more fear, and more growth. In turn, there will always be relief in writing.  

Sincerely,
Sadie N. Anderson
Author of Soul’s Seasons

Find Sadie on Instagram or purchase Soul's Seasons here.

Comments